This is a family favorite. We love this kind of food where there's a bit of building yourself and making it your own. Great for football night in front of the TV!
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 black jalapeño peppers, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. paprika
- 2 tbsp. cumin
- 2 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 (16 oz.) package green lentils (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 2 (15 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat.
- When hot, add onion and peppers; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables brown and begin to stick to the bottom of the pot, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in 3 tbsp. of the stock and continue to cook, stirring, until onion is soft and lightly browned.
- Stir in garlic and spices and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add lentils, tomatoes and remaining stock.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, 30 minutes or until lentils are almost tender.
- Uncover and cook 10 minutes longer.
- Stir in cilantro and serve.
The addition of recipes to the blog – Brilliant! So very helpful! I’m making this soon! I love Seedz crackers, as do the family. This will be a great appetizer next time we’re together. Thanks!